Sunday 5 February 2012

Whole30 end of week 1

Today is the last day of week 1 of my Whole30 and I'm happy to say I made it through the weekend without cheating!

I'm not going to lie, it was difficult at some points, such as when everyone else was drinking beer after hours of pulling out weeds in the sun (soda water is good, but not that good) and when my dad was trying to get me to drink some French wine and also when Glenn was eating fresh bread with butter in front of me and had left some on the table, old me would have just grabbed it, but I stayed strong.

Being prepared is so important, there's no way I would have gotten through the weekend if I hadn't planned ahead and thought of things I could eat that wouldn't make me feel like I was being deprived. I am still very sad about the loss of bacon from my life though and might have to dedicate some time this week to finding somewhere that stocks nitrate and sugar free bacon.

Over the weekend I ate stir-fried chicken and vegetables, a giant green salad with roast chicken, walnuts and avocado and then eggs, tomatoes and spinach for breakfast. All those meals were easily adaptable for Glenn, who gets to eat delicious bacon and other banned items.

My giant salad















Last night my plan was to spend some time cooking food for the week and then watch tv or play skyrim, but the cooking part took ages, mostly because I'd misread one of the recipes and had to go off in search of more minced pork. So no Skyrim or tv for me. The cooking took about 3.5hrs all up, but I now have lunches, dinners and snacks for the rest of the week, so it was worth it and I can watch tv and play skyrim tonight cuz I won't have to cook!

I made Bora Bora fireballs (meatballs), Egg Foo Yung (Chinese omelet), Baba Ganoush, Red curry pork, and I also cut up vegetables for the rest of the week's snacks and lunches.


Baba Ganoush















All of the recipes (except for the red curry) came from an awesome book called Well Fed, every recipe in the book except for one is Whole30 compliant, so it's my bible at the moment! I was pretty impressed with the Baba Ganoush, I didn't realise how easy it was. Tonight I'm going to attempt to make Mayonnaise, the recipe looks easy enough but I'm a bit scared!



Fridge stocked for the rest of the week















(Please excuse the photos, they're taken with my iphone 3, whose camera is complete shite, unless you're standing perfectly still and it's a super bright, sunny day!)

Shopping is a bit of a pain if you're trying to buy items other than fruit/veggies/meat (eg. fish sauce, curry paste, shredded coconut) because you have to read every single label and it's really surprising the amount of extra crap they put into things! I had to cheat with the shredded coconut because most of them had sulphites added, one of them didn't have sulphites but had added sugar, so I went with the sulphites. I also cheated again with the fish sauce because it has sugar in it, but I spent ages the other day trying to find some that didn't and failed, so I'm going to write it off, I use it in such small amounts anyway that it shouldn't make too much difference.

The other part of the Whole30 is no weighing or measuring yourself for the entire time, so I have no idea if I've lost any weight or not yet, my clothes don't feel any looser so I probably haven't. I haven't really been craving anything though, which is good, but it is early days yet!



No comments:

Post a Comment