Wednesday 19 September 2012

Aqua Zumba and Crossfit Wednesday

Aqua Zumba

On Tuesday night, the girls and I went to Glen Eira Sports and Aquatic Centre to try Aqua Zumba! Unfortunately we somehow ended up in different classes and I did Aqua Zumba, whilst the others were doing Aqua Pilates.

Aqua Zumba is what it sounds like, Zumba in a pool. I'm not sure if you've ever tried to dance whilst in water, but it's bloody difficult! It was a lot of fun, mostly because it was so silly and it was really hard to do what the instructor was trying to get you to do with any grace or rhythm. I think they want it to look like this:


But really, it's more like this:




A bunch of people, lots of them old, flailing around in the water completely out of time! It was still fun, but not really a good enough workout for me.

Crossfit

So, to get a proper workout, last night I went back to my one true love, Crossfit!  It was a good one too, lots of power clean and jerks, which is my most favourite of lifts!

Warm-up

750m row

Then 3 rounds of:

10 x back lunges
10 x good mornings (never done these before, basically you hold a stick behind your neck and bend over to stretch your hamstrings)

WOD

30 double unders (90 normal skips for me)
10 chins (2 x orange bands)
3 x power clean and jerk (25kg)

x 10

So in total 900 skips, 100 chins and 30 power clean and jerks.

I finished in 23mins 18 seconds, and finished FIRST! I rarely finished first but I powered through this one and beat everyone by quite a lot. I think it was mainly because I'm pretty much ready to go down a band in chin-ups and up the weight in the power clean and jerks, so for me it was quite easy.

Strength 

We did back squats and I had a go at them, after months and months of not doing them. I started out light and then worked my way up.

8 x 7kg
8 x 12kg
8 x 12kg
8 x 22kg
8 x 22kg

It felt good to be squatting again, my feet have to be in a whacky turned out position for me to get the depth, but I could do it. I had some knee pain in both knees last night after class when I was standing up from a sitting position, but everything feels fine today, so hopefully I can keep doing them and get back to doing the same workout as everyone else, except for the running.

I am really sad about not being able to run for more than 10mins at a time though, I love the freedom of just going for a run and I can't do it anymore.  When I get back from the USA I'll get it properly assessed, but in the meantime, I'm considering trying a knee brace to see if that helps hold my kneecap in place when I'm running, but they're expensive so I'm not sold on the idea yet cuz it might not do anything at all.

Food

I went to the farm on the weekend and scored some home grown parsnips. I've never really cooked with parsnips before, but I googled around and found a Donna Hay recipe for pork chops with parsnips and pears and a Jamie Oliver recipe, which my dad's GF had recommended, for tagliatelle with parsnips, pancetta and rosemary.

The second one is 100% not paleo, I could have had it with zucchini noodles, but I was bad and decided to go with the pasta option.  Both were amazingly delicious and super easy, so I'll try and paleofy the pasta recipe next time.

Giant parsnip!

Cooking down the parsnips for the pasta recipe

Pork chops with parsnips and pears


No comments:

Post a Comment